Q: How is the water purified in a Stefani Water Purifier?
A: The water is purified through the purifying candle in the following way: firstly it is forced through the fine porous ceramic wall which “sieves” out solid impurities and bacteria and then it passes over a bed of activated charcoal inside the candle which soaks up chemical impurities e.g. Chlorine. The inside surface of the candle is coated in a thin layer of silver to act as a safeguard against any possibility of bacteria build up.
Q: How long do the water purifier candles last?
A: This depends on the quantity and quality of the water going through the water purifier. The greater the degree of contamination and water usage, the candle’s life span decreases. In metropolitan areas the candles typically last between 6 and 9 months.
Q: When should the water purifier candles be replaced?
A: Purifying candles should be replaced when a noticeable chemical returns to the purified water. This will happen when the charcoal inside becomes totally saturated. The candle does not need replacing just because it is working more slowly.
Q: Why, when and how should the candles be cleaned?
A: When the water flow from the candle slows noticeably this is an indication the candle should be cleaned. Solid contaminates in the water are blocking the fine pores on the surface of the ceramic candle and must be cleaned off. The candle should be cleaned by removing from the purifier, running under cold water and being “scrubbed” quite vigorously with a stiff brush or scouring cloth or use the back of a butter knife to scrape off a layer of the ceramic.
Q: Why does the water sometimes stop coming through the water purifier candle?
A: Because the candle is blocked with impurities and needs cleaning.
Q: Have these water purifiers been tested?
A: Stefani water purifiers have been extensively tested in Australia, UK and USA to validate their performance. The terracotta is natural and the paint on the terracotta units is water based containing no lead or cadmium.
Q: Where are Stefani water purifiers made?
A: The purifying candles and terracotta bowls are made in Brazil.
Q: Does the water purifier remove fluoride?
A: No. The water purifiers will not remove any dissolved salts such as fluoride, calcium, magnesium etc.
Q: How long does the water take to come through?
A: The flow is around one litre per hour per candle. (i.e. The 4.5 litre model should be filled in around 4-6 hours, the 6 and 10 litre in around 3 hours.)
Q: Which size is best?
4.5 litre = single
6.0 litre = couple/small family
10 litre = large family
Q: Does the purifier REALLY work?
A: Extensive test results show that they do. Experience shows that they do. They are sold all around the world, including areas in which cholera is present. They have been sold for 35 years.
Q: Are Stefani water purifiers guaranteed?
A: All our water purifiers are unconditionally guaranteed for 12 months against faulty workmanship. Candles are guaranteed for 3 months – even though they should have a life of 6+ months. The guarantee is only against faults in manufacture.
Q: Where are the replacement candles available?
A: The replacement candles are available where you bought the original unit as well as many other outlets.
Q: Why does the terracotta unit have a clay taste in the water?
A: The terracotta is very dry and dusty when it is new and gives off a slight taste. This will last for up to 3-4 weeks but always disappears. To remove the clay taste soak the unit (without the candle) in bleach – for every 1L of water add 10ml of bleach. Soak the unit for at least 24 hours and then give it a thorough rinse with water
Q: Will “mildew” grow on the purifier?
A: Not if it is maintained properly. The purifier is always slightly cool and damped. Minerals in the water (especially calcium) can be precipitated on the outside surface of the purifier during the evaporative process. These salts can build up and form a good host for dust and dirt in the atmosphere. Naturally mildew can grow in such a situation. The water purifier should be treated as a normal household appliance and wiped down every couple of days with a damp cloth. This prevents mineral salts from building up.